FSSAI License Registration
If you are planning to start a food business in India, obtaining a food license(FSSAI license) is mandatory. It is a legal requirement that ensures the safety and quality of food products for consumers. In this article, we will discuss all the essential information you need to know about obtaining a food license in India.
What is a food license?
A food license is a legal permit issued by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) that allows businesses to manufacture, store, distribute, or sell food products in India. The FSSAI is the regulatory body that sets the standards for food safety and hygiene in India. Obtaining a food license ensures that your business complies with these standards and provides safe and healthy food products to consumers.
FSSAI license number
FSSAI license number is a unique 14-digit number that is assigned to every food business operator who obtains an FSSAI license. The FSSAI license number serves as an identity for the food business and is used for regulatory purposes.
The FSSAI license number is generated by the FSSAI portal once the license application is processed and approved. The license number is an indication that the food business has met the requirements for food safety and quality as prescribed by the FSSAI.The FSSAI license number comprises five sections as follows:
- The first digit of the license number represents the type of food business. For example, the digit 1 represents a food manufacturer, 2 represents a food packager, and so on.
- The next two digits of the license number represent the state where the food business is located.
- The next two digits represent the year in which the license was issued.
- The next seven digits are randomly generated and are unique to the food business.
- The last digit of the license number is a check digit that is calculated based on a formula to ensure the accuracy of the license number.
The FSSAI license number is an important piece of information that is required to be displayed on all food packaging and labeling. This helps consumers to identify the food business and ensures that the food product they are consuming is safe and meets the prescribed standards.
It is important for food business operators to obtain an FSSAI license and display the license number on all food products and packaging to avoid legal penalties and build trust with customers. Consumers are increasingly becoming aware of the importance of food safety and are looking for food products that are compliant with FSSAI regulations.
Types of food licenses:There are three types of food licenses issued by the FSSAI based on the size and nature of the business:
- Basic FSSAI registration - This license is suitable for small food-related businesses with a turnover of up to Rs. 12 lakhs per annum. It is also suitable for businesses that have a maximum production capacity of 100 kg/liters per day.
- State FSSAI License - This license is suitable for medium-sized food-related businesses with a turnover of more than Rs. 12 lakhs per annum but less than Rs. 20 crores per annum. It is also suitable for businesses that have a maximum production capacity of 2 MT per day.
- Central FSSAI License - This license is suitable for large food-related businesses with a turnover of more than Rs. 20 crores per annum. It is also suitable for businesses that have a maximum production capacity of more than 2 MT per day.
Eligibility for FSSAI registration
Before applying for an FSSAI license or registration, it is important to know the requirements that must be fulfilled. The requirements vary depending on the type of food business, the scale of operation, and the location. Some of the common requirements include:
- Business must be registered as per the law
- Adequate facilities for food storage, preparation, and disposal
- Adequate number of qualified personnel
- Compliance with the standards set by FSSAI
- Regular inspection and testing of food products
Food License Registration ProcessThe process for registering your food business for an FSSAI license can be broken down into the following steps:
Step 1: Initial consultation
To begin the registration process, you can contact our FSSAI experts who will guide you through the process. Our team will schedule a call with you to collect all the necessary documents required to initiate the registration process.
Step 2: Registration process
Our team of experts will begin the registration process for your food business. The process will be completely transparent, and you will receive timely updates from our team regarding the status of your registration.
Step 3: Inspection
After the registration process is completed, officials from the food department will inspect your food business to ensure compliance with food safety and quality standards. If the inspection is successful, your food business will be registered and you will receive a 14 digit FSSAI license number.
Food License Registration ProcessObtaining an FSSAI license or registration has several benefits, such as:
- Builds trust and confidence in the minds of customers, as they know that the food products they consume are safe and of high quality.
- Helps in the expansion of the business by providing access to a wider market.
- Helps in obtaining loans and grants from financial institutions.
- It enhances the credibility of your food business in the market.
- It ensures that your food products are safe for consumption and meet the required quality standards.
- It helps you to comply with the legal requirements for food safety.
- It protects your business from legal penalties and consumer complaints.
Documents requirement for FSSAI LicenseFor Basic FSSAI Registration
- Photo of authorized person/partner/director/proprietor.
- List of Directors/Partners/Proprietor - This is a list of all the directors/partners/proprietor of the business.
- Proof of Address - This includes documents such as electricity bill, water bill, property tax receipt and rent agreement.
- Photo Identity Proof - This includes documents such as Aadhaar card, driving license, or passport.
- Company registration documents- incorporation certificate/partnership deed, MOA, AOA.
Apart from the above documents, the following documents are also required for a state and central FSSAI license.
- Food Safety Management Plan - This is a document that outlines the food safety measures taken by the business. It includes details such as food handling, storage, and processing.
- List of Equipment and Machinery - This is a list of all the equipment and machinery used in the business.
- Authority letter - This is a letter authorizing the person responsible for FSSAI compliance in the business.
- Photograph of the premises
- Blueprint of the premises
- Report of a water test
Have questions about FSSAI License?
We have got you covered:
Is FSSAI registration mandatory for all food businesses?
Yes, FSSAI registration or license is mandatory for all food businesses, whether small, medium or large scale.
- What is the validity of an FSSAI license or registration?
- What are the consequences of not obtaining an FSSAI license?
- What is the penalty for non-compliance with FSSAI regulations?
- Who needs to obtain an FSSAI license?
- Is it mandatory to display the FSSAI license in the food business premises?
- Can I operate a food business without an FSSAI license?
- How long does it take to obtain an FSSAI license?
- Who needs a Basic FSSAI License?
- Who needs a State FSSAI License?
- Who needs a Central FSSAI License?